Wisconsin Academy of Family Physician 2017 Strategic Plan
Approved by the Wisconsin Academy of Family Physicians Board on 1/21/2017
The mission of WAFP is to promote excellence in health care and to improve the health of the people of Wisconsin through the advancement of the art and science of Family Medicine and the professional growth of Family Physicians.
Areas of Focus
Promote "Healthy Practice" for All Members
Goal 1: Promote physician wellbeing.
Goal 2: Promote an annual clinical focus.
- 2017 clinical focus - Opioids
- Intersect clinical area of focus with other committees and workgroups.
Goal 3: Team based care.
Goal 4: Actively assist members with MoC and MoL.
Promote Family Medicine Advocacy
Goal 1: Develop and promote family physicians as health policy leaders and partners.
- Focus on introducing legislation where appropriate.
- Continue to be the voice of reason for organized medicine.
Goal 2: Increase the influence and presence of WAFP in the legislative process.
- Promote workforce incentives.
- Continue monitoring scope of practice.
- Develop and distribute "tools" to help members communicate with legislators.
Nurture and Develop Family Physician Leaders
Goal 1: Nurture the development of Family Physician leaders in communities, practices and WAFP/AAFP.
- Expand diversity.
- Identify leadership programs members can take back to their practices.
- Create a leadership spotlight in each newsletter.
- Establish a leadership membtor program.
Grow and Maintain a Family Medicine Workforce
Goal 1: Identify opportunities for public health and family medicine to collaborate.
Goal 2: Attract interest in family medicine; grow family physicians; maintain active membership; keep member in medicine and WAFP.
- Create value for student membership.
- Identify and implement strategies to assist with preceptor recruitment, retention, and training.
- Provide educational opportunities for FMIG activities.
- Create opportunities for students and residents to become engaged in legislative efforts.
- Identify opportunities to reach out to pre-med students. Develop the pre-med pipeline.